Introduction to the Unit
This module has been designed to offer a theoretical basis to this online course. Take the time to understand the core concepts related to inclusion in education, that are our reference point for our work in education. The module addresses the difference between inclusion and integration, the value of diversity in society and at school; it allows for reflection on prejudice and stereotypes and provides a brief understanding of the current European norms and regulation promoting and protecting inclusion in education.
– Fettes, M., & Karamouzian, F. M. (2018). Inclusion in education: Challenges for linguistic policy and research. Language Policy, 219–235.
– Inclusive schools: Special educational needs and disability. (2016). Education Policy Unravelled.
– Summary and conclusions: Ways Forward in bridging policy-practice gap issues within Inclusive Education. (2016). Implementing Inclusive Education: Issues in Bridging the Policy-Practice Gap, 273–279. https://doi.org/10.1108/s1479-363620160000008028
– DREAMS – Fostering Diversity in Primary to Secondary School Transition to Prevent Early School Leaving, Primary to Secondary Smooth Transitioning to Prevent ESL, (2020) Basic readings on diversity
– Drexel University School of Education, The importance of diversity & cultural awareness in the classroom. https://drexel.edu/soe/resources/student-teaching/advice/importance-of-cultural-diversity-in-classroom/